- 1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (the secret weapon)
- Chop butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Add to a large stockpot with the hominy, jalapeño, crushed tomatoes, and stock or water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium-high for about and hour and a half until squash and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Turn heat down to low, and add the onion, poblano pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and brown sugar. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Makes a little more than a gallon.
Recipe by Clary Perez