- 2 large eggplants
- salt, as needed
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- toppings of your choice, such as fresh basil or cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Slice eggplant crosswise into ½-inch thick rounds. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until softened. Remove sheet pan from oven, and preheat broiler.
3. Spread each eggplant round with about 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce plus a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, shredded cheese, and your choice of toppings.
4. Return eggplant to oven under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted, watching closely as it can burn quickly. Remove, serve while still warm, and enjoy!