- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 3 cups turnips, plus their greens, chopped
- 1 cup Chinese mountain yams, peeled and chopped (or substitute potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons spice mixture (see recipe)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 quart strawberries (Frozen works if your local market no longer has them in season)
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup onion, julienned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place the flour, butter, and salt in a medium bowl and cut the butter into the flour with a fork or dough blender until the size of peas.
- Slowly stir in the ice water, but do not over mix. You may need to add a little more or less water than the recipe calls for, but only add enough to bring the dough together to form a ball. Cut the ball in half and pat the two halves into flat rounds. One half will be for the bottom of the pot pie and the other for the top crust.
- Keep dough covered with plastic and refrigerated until needed, but remove from refrigerator to soften before rolling.
- Place the cumin, cardamom, coriander, and mustard seeds in a skillet on the stove top and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and add the remaining ingredients. Blend all in a spice grinder. Store in an airtight container.
- In a large skillet or small pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, and celery and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the turnips and greens and mountain yams and saute for about 12 minutes.
- Add the salt, spice mix, and butter; stir until butter is melted. Add in the 1/4 cup of flour, stir until all vegetables are coated, then add the veg stock and combine.
- Finally, stir in the heavy cream, adjust the salt and spice levels to your desired amount.
- Roll prepared pie crust dough and put one piece in the bottom of a large pie pan. Add the filling and top with the remaining crust.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes, until filling bubbles and crust is golden brown. Let cool a bit before slicing, and garnish each serving with a spoonful of the strawberry chutney.
- Place the berries, vinegar, mustard seeds, and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan and let sit off the heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, and sugar to the pot and cook down over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight if possible for best flavor, and enjoy cold or hot with the turnip pot pie.